[R-SIG-Mac] loading Rcmdr, R-Tcl/Tk errors due to X11

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 19 09:21:15 CEST 2005

Thanks Jan,

That makes some sense to me.  But I'm still not really clear on how best
to advise a user of my R-Tcl/Tk package who says "I'm just a dumb GUI
user.  I don't want to use the R command-line, I only want to use your
Tcl/Tk GUI.  And I don't want to learn what an environment variable is.
etc."

It's very unlikely that the sort of user I'm talking about would be using
emacs (and I don't use it either).  I'm more interested in making it as
easy as possible for a user to get started with an R-Tcl/Tk GUI who
doesn't know how to use the R command-line and who doesn't know about
things like environment variables and .Rprofile files etc.  So that's why
I was wondering whether it would be possible for tcltk's .First.lib() or
equivalent to test whether X11 is running, and if not, give a friendly
error message.

Best wishes,
James