[R-SIG-Mac] problem with options("pkgType") in a home-built R 2.2.0

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Sat Oct 15 15:49:46 CEST 2005

On 15/ott/05, at 00:18, Don MacQueen wrote:

> David,
>
> Stefan has already answered.  None the less, here's my perspective.
>
> Like you, I build from source, and have also discovered the change in
> default 'type' for
> install.packages() and friends. Like you, I left the default
> --with-aqua unchanged.
>
> Here's a relevant excerpt from the NEWS file.
>
>    o    There is now support of installing from within R both
> source and
>     binary packages on MacOS X and Windows.     Most of the R
>     functions now have a 'type' argument defaulting to
>     getOption("pkgType") and with possible values "source",
>     "win.binary" and "mac.binary".    The default is "source" except
>     under Windows and the CRAN GUI build for MacOS X.
>
> I would think that the configure option --with-aqua causes a build to
> be a "CRAN GUI" build, because
> --with-aqua is what gets you the option of using the double-clickable
> app that goes in your /Applications folder.

let's say it provides  cocoa/aqua callbacks, that's all about the --
with-aqua flag.
The fact that it also sets mac.binary it is unwanted behaviour and we
need to change this. The default should be "source" as from the NEWS
file.

mac.binary is just for CRAN binaries and, as I said, we decided to
set it for the cran build (but unfortunately it is also set for non
cran build) because we want to be sure about compatibility between
cran R binary for OS X and binary packages for both BioC and CRAN.
We need this because otherwise feedback from user is difficult to
manage as there are several binary R around (CRAN, Jan's, fink,
darwinport and I've also seen a binary version of R shipped with
GRASS for OS X).
We got lots of feedback and R-sig-mac is just the top of the iceberg :)

stefano