[R-SIG-Mac] problem with options("pkgType") in a home-built R 2.2.0

stefano iacus jago at mclink.it
Sat Oct 15 00:02:14 CEST 2005

On 14/ott/05, at 23:32, David Firth wrote:

> I have built R 2.2.0 from source, on Mac OS X 10.4, with the
> configure step as follows:
>
> ./configure --with-x --with-tcltk F77=gfortran --with-blas="-
> framework vecLib" --with-lapack
>
> (yes, I know some of that is redundant now!)

I think in your case it's just

./configure F77=gfortran

default options are --with-x, --with-aqua, --with-blas="-framework
vevLib", --with-lapack and also the R.framework build style

> Al goes fine with the build.  But when I run R I find
>

>> version
>>
>           _
> platform powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0
> arch     powerpc
> os       darwin8.2.0
> system   powerpc, darwin8.2.0
> status
> major    2
> minor    2.0
> year     2005
> month    10
> day      06
> svn rev  35749
> language R
>
>> options("pkgType")
>>
> $pkgType
> [1] "mac.binary"
>
>> contrib.url(options("repos"))
>>
>                                                           CRAN
> "http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/macosx/powerpc/contrib/2.2"
>
> This creates problems for me when I try to use for example
> install.packages:
>
> 1.  If I try to run install.packages, the URL that gets used does not
> exist (as I also verified outside of R):
>
>> install.packages("eha")
>>
> Warning in install.packages("eha") : argument 'lib' is missing:
> using /Users/david/Library/R
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.uk.r-
> project.org/bin/macosx/powerpc/contrib/2.2
> Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available =
> available,  :
>           no package 'eha' at the repositories
>
> 2.  My reading of ?options is that options("pkgType") for me should
> be "source" not "mac.binary", since it says
>       'pkgType': The default type of packages to be downloaded and
>            installed - see 'install.packages'. Possible values are
>            '"source"' (the default except under the CRAN Mac OS X
> build)
>            and '"mac.binary"'.

umh, you are right the mac.binary option was set to ensure that
binary packages are compatible with binary R, and we can only
guarantee for the CRAN build of R.
I agree that in your case pkgType should be "source"

> I do not think I am running "the CRAN Mac OS X build" -- I have never
> downloaded the R binary from CRAN, and I assume (correctly?) that
> that is what is meant there.  If I do options(pkgType = "source") all
> is fine.  But should I have to do that myself?

yes, in this release

> This behaviour seems to be new to R 2.2.0.  Have I blundered
> somewhere in building R?  I noticed that --with-aqua is now a default
> configure option, but I didn't negate that because (a) I wasn't sure
> what it does [what does it do?],

currently --with-aqua just put into R binary the (void) callback that
can be initialized by an external GUI (such as R.app), but it doesn't
hurt X11 or whatever else.

> and (b) I supposed it was the
> default for good reason.

yes, it adds some sort of extension without touching the rest

> I got the same behaviour when building under Mac OS 10.3.9, with
> ./configure --with-x --with-tcltk --with-tcl-config=/sw/lib/
> tclConfig.sh --with-tk-config=/sw/lib/tkConfig.sh  --with-blas="-
> framework vecLib" --with-lapack
>
> I would welcome any advice.  I build R myself mainly because I like
> to use ESS as my interface.

you can also use cran build for this.
anyway, as for this release, you need to set options(pkgType =
"source") in your .Rprofile or similar.

stefano