[R-SIG-Mac] problem with options("pkgType") in a home-built R 2.2.0

David Firth d.firth at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 23:32:52 CEST 2005

I have built R 2.2.0 from source, on Mac OS X 10.4, with the
configure step as follows:

./configure --with-x --with-tcltk F77=gfortran --with-blas="-
framework vecLib" --with-lapack

(yes, I know some of that is redundant now!)

Al goes fine with the build.  But when I run R I find

 > version
          _
platform powerpc-apple-darwin8.2.0
arch     powerpc
os       darwin8.2.0
system   powerpc, darwin8.2.0
status
major    2
minor    2.0
year     2005
month    10
day      06
svn rev  35749
language R
 > options("pkgType")
$pkgType
[1] "mac.binary"
 > contrib.url(options("repos"))
                                                          CRAN
"http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/macosx/powerpc/contrib/2.2"

This creates problems for me when I try to use for example
install.packages:

1.  If I try to run install.packages, the URL that gets used does not
exist (as I also verified outside of R):
 > install.packages("eha")
Warning in install.packages("eha") : argument 'lib' is missing:
using /Users/david/Library/R
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.uk.r-
project.org/bin/macosx/powerpc/contrib/2.2
Warning in download.packages(pkgs, destdir = tmpd, available =
available,  :
          no package 'eha' at the repositories

2.  My reading of ?options is that options("pkgType") for me should
be "source" not "mac.binary", since it says
      'pkgType': The default type of packages to be downloaded and
           installed - see 'install.packages'. Possible values are
           '"source"' (the default except under the CRAN Mac OS X build)
           and '"mac.binary"'.
I do not think I am running "the CRAN Mac OS X build" -- I have never
downloaded the R binary from CRAN, and I assume (correctly?) that
that is what is meant there.  If I do options(pkgType = "source") all
is fine.  But should I have to do that myself?

This behaviour seems to be new to R 2.2.0.  Have I blundered
somewhere in building R?  I noticed that --with-aqua is now a default
configure option, but I didn't negate that because (a) I wasn't sure
what it does [what does it do?], and (b) I supposed it was the
default for good reason.

I got the same behaviour when building under Mac OS 10.3.9, with
./configure --with-x --with-tcltk --with-tcl-config=/sw/lib/
tclConfig.sh --with-tk-config=/sw/lib/tkConfig.sh  --with-blas="-
framework vecLib" --with-lapack

I would welcome any advice.  I build R myself mainly because I like
to use ESS as my interface.

Yours hopefully,
David