[R-SIG-Mac] Problem with lapack.so compiling R 2.2.0 from source under Tiger

Michael.Martin@anu.edu.au Michael.Martin at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 10 02:48:05 CEST 2005

I am trying to compile R 2.2.0 from source under Tiger and am running into
problems with loading lapack.so when it tries to build the grDevices library.
I configured as follows:
./configure --with-blas='-framework vecLib' --with-lapack F77=gfortran
and ran make, which resulted in the following error:
Error in solve.default(rgb) : lapack routines cannot be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
unable to load shared library 'R-2.2.0/modules/lapack.so':
  dlopen(R-2.2.0/modules/lapack.so, 6): Symbol not found: _rcblas_zdotc_sub__
  Referenced from: R-2.2.0/modules/lapack.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
Error: unable to load R code in package 'grDevices'
Execution halted
make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
make[2]: *** [R] Error 1
make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
make: *** [R] Error 1
I have tried to configure without lapack but this makes no difference (and
I am unsure if this is wise under Mac OS X anyway), so I don't know what to
try next. Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Michael.

Michael Martin
School of Finance and Applied Statistics
Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200
Australia