[R-SIG-Mac] problem with tab-completion of file names

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri May 27 09:18:47 CEST 2005

Conrad,

thanks for your report.

On May 26, 2005, at 10:58 PM, Conrad Halling wrote:

> owever, in R 2.1.0a, tab-completion fills in the rest of the
> directory or file name, but the filled part is selected, and typing
> replaces the filled part, negating the usefulness of this feature.

In 2.0.1 we used our own completion code that couldn't deal with
multiple completions (basically there was no GUI except for the text
itself). In 2.1.0 we have switched to the Cocoa native completion
API, i.e. the one provided by Apple. The advantage is that we can now
use multiple completion alternatives which can be selected from the
drop-down list. The drawback is that we have no way of affecting the
GUI behavior. (If someone has an idea how to remedy that, please
contact me).

To prevent the selection from being deleted, just press the right
cursor key before typing further text.

If someone donates some better way of implementing the completion UI,
we'll gladly accept it, but currently there are no plans for
alternatives (from my side, as there are a few more important changes
I need to make first). If you find this behavior really annoying, I
could make a preference setting allowing you to revert to the old
behavior (without multiple completions)...