[R-SIG-Mac] problem with tab-completion of file names

Conrad Halling conrad.halling at bifx.org
Fri May 27 04:58:45 CEST 2005

I am running R 2.1.0a under Mac OS X 10.3.9.

First, thanks for the beautiful job on this release. Every release is
easier to use and has more functionality.

In R 2.0.1, I discovered that I could use tab-completion in the editor
(i.e., pressing the tab key expands incomplete directory and file names
just as it does in the tcsh and bash shells). This greatly speeds using
the setwd() command, for example.

However, in R 2.1.0a, tab-completion fills in the rest of the directory
or file name, but the filled part is selected, and typing replaces the
filled part, negating the usefulness of this feature.

For example, if I do this:

 > setwd( "/Users/chal<tab>

tab-completion fills in the rest of the directory name, giving

 > setwd( "/Users/challing

But the "ling" remains selected, so if I attempt to start the next
directory by typing "/", I get

 > setwd( "/Users/chal/

instead of the desired

 > setwd( "/Users/challing/