[R-SIG-Mac] imageio configure?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri May 27 01:00:06 CEST 2005

Hi Roger,

On May 26, 2005, at 6:47 PM, roger koenker wrote:

> Seems that I misinterpreted the Kwiki advice totally.  So I've
> tried installing libpng and libjpeg as suggested in Stefano's
> developer page.  Now in /usr/local/lib I have:
>
> yzzy: otool -L libpng.dylib
> libpng.dylib:
>         /usr/local/lib/libpng.3.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
> current version 3.0.0)
>         /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 1.2.2)
>         /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> current version 92.0.0)
>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> current version 88.0.0)
>
> configure seems happy to report PNG support, but  in make I  get
> the conflict:

Please remove /usr/local/lib/libpng.dylib - it's just a softlink and
it's causing the problem. The actual binary is libpng.3.dylib and
using that is safe.

The underlying problem is the forced /usr/local/lib in
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH which should be fixed soon (I hope to have some
time for that next week ...).

> I would be happy to follow the suggestion in the Kwiki to:
>
>     use static libraries for libjpeg, libpng and friends
>
> If only I knew how to implement it.  Sorry,  to be a bit dense
> about all this.

Simply remove libpng*dylib - then the static one (libpng.a) will be
used instead (assuming that you compiled both dynamic and static one
- which should be the default afair).