[R-SIG-Mac] imageio configure?

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Fri May 27 00:47:33 CEST 2005

Seems that I misinterpreted the Kwiki advice totally.  So I've tried
installing libpng
and libjpeg as suggested in Stefano's developer page.  Now in /usr/
local/lib I have:

yzzy: otool -L libpng.dylib
libpng.dylib:
         /usr/local/lib/libpng.3.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
current version 3.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.2.2)
         /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 92.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 88.0.0)

configure seems happy to report PNG support, but  in make I  get the
conflict:

Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
         unable to load shared library '/Users/roger/Rinstall/R-devel/
library/grDevices/libs/grDevices.so':
   dlopen(/Users/roger/Rinstall/R-devel/library/grDevices/libs/
grDevices.so, 6): Symbol not found: __cg_png_destroy_write_struct
   Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/
Versions/A/ImageIO
   Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libPng.dylib
Execution halted

I would be happy to follow the suggestion in the Kwiki to:

     use static libraries for libjpeg, libpng and friends

If only I knew how to implement it.  Sorry,  to be a bit dense about
all this.

Roger

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820