[R-SIG-Mac] mac.binary: inconsistent naming

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon May 2 17:40:04 CEST 2005

On May 2, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Jari Oksanen wrote:

> I installed the official Mac binary of R.app 2.1.0 today. I tried
> to update all installed packages. Because installing source
> packages is very, very, very slow(*) I decided to update.packages
> with type="mac.binary".

Why would you do that? The Package Installer in the GUI allows you to
install binary packages [it's even the default!] so you don't need to
run any R commands for this. [FWIW Internally it uses
install.binaries to do this - that that works.]

The package installation/building of binaries is not optimal yet, we
plan to work on that...

I'm not sure why the src install is slow for you - how much RAM do
you have? The doc generation tends to use huge amounts of memory and
swaps a lot on low-mem systems...