[R-SIG-Mac] mac.binary: inconsistent naming

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Mon May 2 16:02:24 CEST 2005

I installed the official Mac binary of R.app 2.1.0 today. I tried to
update all installed packages. Because installing source packages is
very, very, very slow(*) I decided to update.packages with
type="mac.binary". However, this results in the following error:

trying URL
'http://cran.dk.r-project.org/bin/macosx/2.1/ade4_1.3-3.tar.gz'
Error in download.file(url, destfile, method, mode = "wb") :
	cannot open URL
'http://cran.dk.r-project.org/bin/macosx/2.1/ade4_1.3-3.tar.gz'
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open: HTTP status was '404 Not Found'

So the problem is that update.packages looks for package name *.tar.gz,
but the repository has packages with name *.tgz. Is there a way to
circumvent this?

A related problem is that when you install from local binary files, the
installer expects the type to be tgz. However, R CMD build --binary
makes a package name *_*_R_powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0.tar.gz which
cannot be installed locally before renaming (and again, tar.gz instead
of tgz is the violation).

Wouldn't it be nice to have these things consistent, in particular for
us poor mac users who cannot type and hardly now where to find the
Terminal.app?

Then to slowness marked above as:
(*) I have found out that installing source packages can be extremely
slow in R.app. It seems that perl pieces in particular are very slow.
Processing Rd files may take ages (that is minutes to tens of minutes
per package). This is a property of R.app GUI: if you download the
source and build to binary in command line, the process is much faster.
What could be an explanation here?

Enough for today. BTW, thanks for the fine work: not only for the R
source, but also for the R.app.

cheers, jari oksanen