[R-SIG-Mac] Cocoa gui with embedded R framework

Kjell Konis konis at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 23 19:28:21 CET 2005

Hi,

Background:

I am trying to build the cocoa gui with R.framework embedded as a
private framework.  The first thing I did was make a copy of
R.framework and use install_name_tool to change the install location of
libR.dylib to
"@executable_path/../Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.0.1/Resources/
lib/libR.dylib".  Then I changed the settings in the R.xcode project to
link against this custom R.framework and copy it into
R.app/Contents/Frameworks (for some reason I had to add the full paths
to R.framework/Headers and R.framework/PrivateHeaders even with the
framework search path set to the directory containing R.framework -
weird).  Anyway, the project builds successfully but fails to start
because the R_HOME environment variable is not set.  The only mention
of R_HOME I can find in R.xcode is in the Info.plist file but changing
the value there doesn't seem to have any effect.

Question:

How does the R_HOME get set when the R is launched from the cocoa gui?

Thanks,

Kjell