[R-SIG-Mac] RGnumeric plugin

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Mar 7 01:33:03 CET 2005

Jacob,

I didn't check RGnumeric (since I don't use Gnumeric), but just some
general answers:

On Mar 6, 2005, at 7:20 PM, Jacob Michaelson wrote:

> I want to take advantage of the huge functionality that would come
> from linking R functions into the Gnumeric spreadsheet environment.
> I've already got Gnumeric up and running via Apple's X11.  I've got a
> few questions:
>
> 1. Has anyone successfully gotten this to work on Mac OS X (I'm
> running 10.3.8)?
>
> 2. The RGumeric instructions (
> http://www.omegahat.org/RGnumeric/README.html ) note that (among many
> other things) R would have to be recompiled from source and built as a
> shared library.  The last time the install page for RGnumeric was
> updated was in 2002...does R still support being built as a shared
> library?

Yes and it's the default on Mac OS X.

> 3.  Assuming that R may still be built as a shared library, I don't
> want to build anything on top of my current installation of R.  Can I
> build R into some other directory, and just place the libR.so file
> where it needs to be, or will this cause a lot of dependency/linking
> problems?  If so, what would be the best way to get R as a shared
> library without destroying my current installation of R?

You current installation is already build as a shared library and it is
located (if you used the CRAN installer) in
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/lib/libR.dylib. If RGnumeric
uses a smart configure script, it should detect the shared library
easily. If it's not as smart (or outdated - note that since 2.0 the
shared library is in $R_HOME/lib instead of previously $R_HOME/bin),
you may need to set some compiler flags.