[R-SIG-Mac] Call R framework from my own Cocoa app?

Demitri Muna thatsanicehatyouhave at mac.com
Mon Jun 27 18:32:34 CEST 2005

Hello,

I recently started using R and have found it quite interesting. One
thing that I would like to do is be able to work with it in a more
interactive fashion. I have a huge amount of data to view, and I'm
envisioning some kind of GUI to more easily navigate it.

Is it possible to write a Cocoa application for the gui? I am an
experienced Mac programmer and can write a front end very quickly.
The question I have is how to control the R display from my app. I
can think of two ways to do it:

1 - Send the R commands to (R.app? command line R?) to be displayed
on an X11 window (or possibly in R.app?).

2 - Is there a reasonably easy way to call the R framework from my
app, create a script internally, and display the result it in my own
NSView?

I'd *love* to be able to do no. 2. :)

Cheers,

Demitri