[R-SIG-Mac] Just checking - X11 Tcl/Tk is still the default (not Aqua), right?

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Jun 23 07:29:39 CEST 2005

Hi,

Hopefully this is a simple question.  I'm running a Bioconductor workshop
in which people will bring their own laptops.  I expect most will be using
Windows, but there may be a few using MacOS X.  I need to provide
instructions for how to install the software beforehand, including
R-Tcl/Tk stuff.  So I just wanted to check that the R 2.1.1 for MacOS X
binary from CRAN is still configured by default to use X11 Tcl/Tk, right?

So you would install Tcl/Tk from source in /usr/local/ after having
installed the developer tools and X11SDK from the Xcode CD, then
library(tcltk) should work. Right?

Whereas if you want to use Aqua Tcl/Tk, you would have to build R from
source :-(, or get a binary from somewhere other than the default CRAN
location.  Right?  But then on the upside, at least getting binaries for
Tcl/Tk extensions would be easier than for X11 :-).

Hopefully this won't take up too much of anyone's time.  I think it should
just be a Yes/No answer to this question: X11 Tcl/Tk is still the default
(not Aqua), right?

Best wishes,
James