[R-SIG-Mac] emacs/ess problems

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Mon Jun 13 20:44:13 CEST 2005

I'm sorry you are having trouble. I have had very little trouble --
but I admit to using ESS only for syntax assistance.

In my home directory, I have a .emacs file. In it is this line:

(load "/erd/statistic/apps/R/ESS/ess-5.2.4/lisp/ess-site")

The first part of the path, /erd/statistic/apps/R/ESS, is a directory
I created. It could be anything you want.
In that directory I put the ESS distribution file, i.e.,
ess-5.2.4.tar.gz, and unpacked it. This created the directory
ess-5.2.4 and all of its subdirectories.

I believe that is *all* I have done.

I can use Emacs within an X Windows context (I've chosen to install
this version of emacs using fink), or a Aqua-GUI version of Emacs
that I downloaded from somewhere. Both of them recognize my ~/.emacs
file and load ESS when I open a file with an appropriate suffix.

This same method works for me on both Solaris and OS X. In fact, the
directory actually resides on a Solaris box and is automounted on my
OS X box. Emacs loads ESS from the exact same set of ESS files,
regardless of which host I login to. I don't do anything different on
OS X than on Solaris, to make ESS available.

-Don