[R-SIG-Mac] some errors

Kasper Daniel Hansen k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jun 9 02:38:36 CEST 2005

Hi

I have recently (some days ago) started working on a Mac, and have a few
"problems" to report:

So far I have been running R.app under Tiger as well as using R from
within Emacs

1) In the "Preferences/Startup" menu, there is a spelling mistake: the
option "Add $HOME/R/Library" should be "Add $HOME/Library/R" (I guess).

2) I tried installing Bioconductor binaries using the package menu. I
can easily install binaries from CRAN. When I pick "bioconductor
(binaries)" I can retrieve a list of packages from the mirror I am
using, but when I click on an individal package and choose "Install
selected", nothing happens. The console output is below. It seems to
simply retieve the package list and nothing else. The fact that this
happens only when I do Bioconductor and not CRAN seems to indicate that
it is a Mac issue? I have installed the packages through other means,
this is simply a user-report.

3) Could it be that R does not read environment variables when started
on the terminal. On the terminal as well as using ESS (Emacs) I can not
get .libPaths() to include /Users/kdh/Library/R despite the fact that I
have exported it from ~/.profile and the variable is set (output below).
I have also tried using ~/.Renviron

How do people solve the last issue: that of adding the user-dependent
library, when using ESS/terminal.

The questions might be a bit basic, but still...

Kasper
***** Bioconductor install

R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO
WARRANTY. You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

trying URL 'http://www.bioconductor.org/bin/macosx/2.1/PACKAGES'
Content type 'text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1' length 11224 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 10Kb

trying URL 'http://www.bioconductor.org/bin/macosx/2.1/PACKAGES'
Content type 'text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1' length 11224 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 10Kb

******* R_LIBS probelm

north-mesh-wlan-87:~ kdh$ echo $R_LIBS
/Users/kdh/Library/R/
north-mesh-wlan-87:~ kdh$ R

R : Copyright 2005, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.1.0 Patched (2005-05-12), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

> .libPaths()
[1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library"