[R-SIG-Mac] g77 from R-2.1.1.dmg won't install

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jul 15 18:12:18 CEST 2005

On Jul 15, 2005, at 11:13 AM, Federico Calboli wrote:

> do I need to specify a target with
>
> sudo installer -pkg g77.pkg

Yes, it's -target /

> on all my Debian boxes all I find in /usr/local is the site-library
> dirtree for the extra R packages I install NOT using apt. Never
> seen it so cluttered as in my OS X box.

... which tells something about your box ;). On a OS X ideally /usr/
local should be empty, because the "native" way is to use frameworks
(like R does) that live in /Library/Frameworks. This makes them more
available and independent of nasty configuration flags. No Apple
software uses /usr/local so whatever is there must have been
installed manually and doesn't affect normal Mac applications.

However, there are still libraries that either are not available as
frameworks or need to be used by code that was not ported to OS X
yet. I try to keep those to a minimum, but sometimes you can't help.