[R-SIG-Mac] ?if

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Sun Feb 13 01:40:15 CET 2005

Actually there is help for control structures, help("if") works just
fine. The problem is ? is that R's parser treats ? as an operator with
unary and binary forms when, in fact, its not really an operator.
?if(TRUE) TRUE (any valid IF construct) will also give the help for
'if'. This is true for all platforms and probably has something to do
with the fact that while "if" is bound directly to a primitive (
"if"(runif(1) < 0.5,TRUE,FALSE) is equivalent to if(runif(1) < 0.5)
TRUE else FALSE) , the if bareword gets special handling in the parser.