[R-SIG-Mac] Command line completion, Help browser navigation buttons, Offering code changes for GUI

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Feb 2 14:31:54 CET 2005

On Jan 31, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Byron Ellis wrote:

> For the completion, you can just run things through complete: to get a
> drop down of completion objects

I have now committed code using the complete: Cocoa API, but I'm not
quite happy with it. It is severely limited - e.g. you cannot complete
an empty string (useful for files), one-letter completions are handled
separately (they won't complete although you get the list) and Cocoa
has its own notion of "words" - so for example read.table is two words,
although we'd actually like to treat it as one (I put a hack in place
that tries to remedy that, but it's not nice ...). The good news is
that you actually get a drop-down menu with the completion candidates
(now it searches through all environments which may or may not be a
good thing). I put the changes in just for users to test-drive it, but
I think we'll end up cooking up our own solution later...