[R-SIG-Mac] please recommend an editor (Hai Lin)

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Sun Dec 11 18:12:24 CET 2005

Simon Urbanek wrote:

>On Dec 7, 2005, at 6:58 AM, Bill Rising wrote:
>

>>On Dec 6, 2005, at 6:42, Ken Beath wrote:
>>

>>>I use TextWrangler http://www.barebones.com as a general editor. It's
>>>free and fairly powerful. I haven't set up any integration with R,
>>>but this should be possible if someone wants to do some work, as
>>>there are possibilities for source colouring, applescripting and
>>>plugin extensions. I just save the files and then Source File in R.
>>>

>>I'm a big fan of emacs. On the mac Aquaemacs allows avoiding some
>>of the odd keystrokes that emacs normally requires.
>>

>FWIW you can avoid that in any emacs - that's what .emacs is for ;).
>I prefer the 'real' emacs compiled as Carbon app which is really
>stable and behaves as it should - the other clones sometimes don't so
>I'd avoid them.

"Which emacs?" is the source of huge flames (firestorms ?) on the
macosx-emacs lists, of course.  Aquaemacs is good at providing a natural
Mac feel & compatibility; if you mainly do  a variety of tasks on Mac OS
X I find it helps your interactions go smoothly.  And recent versions
have been better at stability.  The maintainers are very responsive,
almost as good as the Mac R team ;-).

OTOH if you do emacs on different platforms a lot, then you may find
Aquaemacs disconcerting.  (I'm more in the former camp these days, but
sympathize with both.)

John