[R-SIG-Mac] please recommend an editor (Hai Lin)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sun Dec 11 14:15:12 CET 2005

On Dec 7, 2005, at 6:58 AM, Bill Rising wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2005, at 6:42, Ken Beath wrote:
>
>> I use TextWrangler http://www.barebones.com as a general editor. It's
>> free and fairly powerful. I haven't set up any integration with R,
>> but this should be possible if someone wants to do some work, as
>> there are possibilities for source colouring, applescripting and
>> plugin extensions. I just save the files and then Source File in R.
>
> I'm a big fan of emacs. On the mac Aquaemacs allows avoiding some
> of the odd keystrokes that emacs normally requires.

FWIW you can avoid that in any emacs - that's what .emacs is for ;).
I prefer the 'real' emacs compiled as Carbon app which is really
stable and behaves as it should - the other clones sometimes don't so
I'd avoid them. I guess I'll make an 'editors for R' page on the OS X
wiki when I get back and we can put stuff like this there ...