[R-SIG-Mac] please recommend an editor

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Dec 6 17:08:07 CET 2005

Kevin,

On Dec 5, 2005, at 5:07 PM, Hai Lin wrote:

>   I am using R in Mac OS 10.3.8 and I am trying to find an editor
> which is compatible with R in Mac. I recently bumped into Xcode for
> a few times in Mac when I directly opened scripts. Would Xcode be a
> good editor to learn? Are there a lot people use it?

Xcode is nice, but the R support is limited to some syntax
highlighting (which was posted on this list some time ago).
Personally I use either the integrated editor in the R GUI or Emacs
(Carbon Emacs 22.0.50 to be more precise). Both have good R
integration (i.e. not just syntax highlighting, but also auto-
completion of functions, objects and argument lookup). The integrated
R GUI editor is more suitable for beginners, Emacs is ... well,
Emacs :) powerful if you know how to use it (and it's the only one
with Rd mode AFAIK). I have also heard that SubEthaEdit is a really
good editor with R syntax highlighting support, but never used it
myself.