[R-SIG-Mac] FIXED - Error compiling gnlm package from source -FIXED

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 1 18:11:05 CET 2005

Yesterday I installed all the Lindsey packages with gcc/gfortran 4.0.1.

Except for one or two small trivial changes because of "old" fortran,
there
were no problems whatsoever. Also, if you use the new cctools from
Xcode-2.2 there is no need for cc_dynamic.

As far as I can see there are no reasons for using gcc-3.x any more,
because most package authors now have corrected the "old" fortran
code.

On Dec 1, 2005, at 10:05 , Ken Knoblauch wrote:

> Just another note. On Jim Lindsey's site, you can find the suggestion:
>
> MAC Users: if you have problems compiling a library, try removing the
> Makefile from the src directory.
>
> This always has worked for me although I find that I need to compile
> from the terminal command line.
>
> In general, I've found the author very responsive to fixing the
> smallest bug
> that might arise in these packages.
>
> ken
>

>> John,
>>
>> just a side note:
>>
>> On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:40 AM, John Vaul wrote:
>>
>>> I have now managed to get the gnlm package installed from source.
>>
>> Possibly you may want to notify the package maintainer that his
>> package is broken by not using all necessary linker flags from R. If
>> you compile an R package using R makefiles, it will supply -
>> lcc_dynamic automatically. It is discouraged to use custom Makefiles
>> in packages as they are neither portable nor reliable - and in most
>> cases unnecessary.
>>
>>> Adding the -lcc_dynamic flag to the Makefile does the trick. There
>>> is a discussion this at:
>>
>> This was also discussed on this list many times ... ;)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>
> --
> Ken Knoblauch
> Inserm U371
> Cerveau et Vision
> Dept. of Cognitive Neuroscience
> 18 avenue du Doyen Lépine
> 69500 Bron
> France
> tel: +33 (0)4 72 91 34 77
> fax: +33 (0)4 72 91 34 61
> portable: +33 (0)6 84 10 64 10
> http://www.lyon.inserm.fr/371/

===
Jan de Leeuw; Distinguished Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of
Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
.mac: jdeleeuw ++++++  aim: deleeuwjan ++++++ skype: j_deleeuw
homepages: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu ++++++ http://www.cuddyvalley.org