[R-SIG-Mac] GDD installation

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Dec 1 16:04:47 CET 2005

Richard,

before I go into details, do you have a specific reason for
recompiling GDD yourself? It is available in binary form on CRAN, so
all you have to do is to say install.packages("GDD") and it works out
of the box (R 2.2.0).

On Dec 1, 2005, at 5:58 AM, richard mendes wrote:

> checking for gdImageCreateFromPng in -lgd... no
> configure: error: Can't find libgd!

This seems like a problem in the installation of your libgd. Make
sure "gdlib-config" is on your PATH (i.e. when you type gdlib-config
you get its help and no error). That script is generated by libgd and
provides all compilation flags necessary to link against libgd.

> "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/GDD/libs/GDD.so":
>   dlcompat: dyld: /Applications/R.app/Contents/MacOS/R Undefined
> symbols:
> _gdImageJpeg
> _gdImagePng
> Error in library("GDD") : .First.lib failed for 'GDD'

It seems as if your libgd is missing JPEG and PNG support. Please
make sure you libgd has both JPEG and PNG support. Freetype and
fontconfig are useful, too (FT is included in the Apple X11).

> do you have any idea how to fix this problem or is this impossible
> because this package doesn't work on a mac ?

As I was saying earlier, it works on Mac OS X and Mac users don't
even have to worry about compiling it at all.