[R-SIG-Mac] (no subject)

Cyrus Harmon ch-rsig-mac at bobobeach.com
Fri Aug 26 02:18:56 CEST 2005

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update. Oh, and my apologies for sending the original
(follow-up) email out without a subject.

In any case, it seems to me that the intention of the "-framework R"
in etc/Makeconf is to be able to find _this particular_ R framework.
The -F argument seems like a good way of doing that. I could see an
argument for testing FRAMEWORK_DIR and not adding the -F if it's /
Library/Frameworks/R.framework, but I'm hard pressed to see how the -
framework R is useful except in the case when the framework is
installed in /Library/Frameworks. I suppose I'm missing a couple of
other places, including /System/Library/Frameworks and ~/Library/
Frameworks, but, still, it would seem to make sense to me to match an
etc/Makeconf's -f arguments with the particular framework.

By all means, if you guys have been down this road and think it's a
bad idea, I'm all ears, but I wanted to make another push for this as
I _really_ hate having dependencies on environment variables. I'd
much prefer a properly (FSVO properly, of course) written config file
that obviates the need for the environment var.

Thanks again,

Cyrus