[R-SIG-Mac] Rcmdr/tcltk help ...

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Aug 25 02:41:41 CEST 2005

Hi again,

> As I said, I haven't had much success getting fink Tcl/Tk to work with R's
> tcltk package, but I guess it should be possible.

Actually, maybe "should" is a bit strong (or in fact just plain wrong).
Some software installed on Unix-like systems (including MacOSX) is just
not relocatable, i.e. if Fink installs something in /sw/ and R doesn't
know to look for it there, then there may be no way to get around this
without rebuilding either Tcl/Tk or R from source - it's certainly
dangerous to try to copy things from /sw/ to /usr/local/.  Much better to
install the Tcl/Tk bundled with R or install it from source as described
in the R for Mac OS X FAQ under "X11 TclTk headers and libraries
(optional)".

Best wishes,
James