[R-SIG-Mac] compiling R devel on vanilla tiger

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Aug 24 20:09:59 CEST 2005

On Aug 22, 2005, at 12:44 AM, Cyrus Harmon wrote:

> Ok, but, sense or not, the result of the failing test is that the
> the  use_lapack is turned off and we don't link against the
> external lapack. Is this the desired behavior? If so there's
> probably a better  solution than just breaking the build.

... it's not "breaking the build" - because if you go ahead ignoring
the test, the build will be broken anyway, only silently - all of the
affected vecLib functions will simply segfault - they just don't work
with gfortran.

I have a prototype work-around for this by creating wrapper functions
and calling cblas_xx instead and I'm testing it right now, but it's
ugly and will make it to R-devel only if it doesn't break anything else.

I just repeat what I've said here already: unless you desperately
need 64-bit R there is no real benefit from using gcc4, because it's
still very instable (gfortran segfaults even on simple examples) and
unreliable (gfortran is even slower than g77). There is a good reason
why the CRAN build uses gcc3 and g77.