[R-SIG-Mac] Problem with tcl/tk for R in Tiger

Bernard Leong bleongcw at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 02:43:56 CEST 2005

I have installed the latest version of R 2.1.1 in the Tiger OSX.
However, when I load up R and use the following command:

> library(tcltk)

I encounter the following error:

as.logical(now)) :
       unable to load shared library
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so':
 dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so,
10): corrupt binary, library ordinal too big
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'tcltk'
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'tcltk'

I have done a couple of remedies:
1) Tried installing tcl and tk 8.4 from source
2) Tried to install the version of tcltk from the fink sourceforge net.
3) Tried to change the path

and it does not work.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem  as I need tcltk to run limmaGUI?

yours sincerely,
Bernard