[R-SIG-Mac] Consistency of information about installed packages

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Apr 28 20:09:23 CEST 2005

Don,

On Apr 28, 2005, at 1:46 PM, Don MacQueen wrote:

> The installation failed, final message was
>   "installation of package 'deldir' had a non-zero exit status..."

This doesn't necessarily mean that the installation failed. Does
library(deldir)
work?

> I then went to the GUI menu item for installing binary format
> packages. I found deldir. However, it told me I had an installed
> version of deldir (there was an entry in the "Installed Version"
> column of the GUI window). Since the attempt to install from source
> had failed, this is not correct.

See above - the installation may have been successful with non-zero
exit status. In that case it may be ineresting to figure out why
exactly (I remember that sometimes the script tries to change
permissions of the .css file, which fails depending on your setup,
but that's irrelevat for the package), but if a package is retained
after installation it usaully indicates that the installation was
successful, regardles of the exit status.