[R-SIG-Mac] Re: [R] can't get the quartz window to the background

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 22 20:57:42 CEST 2004

Yes, this is the famous SetForegroundProcess problem. There
is a way around it that does not involve changing the R sources.

One simple version of this is to download my R from
http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub, although that computer is currently down.
because of our move.

The other is to apply the resourcefork hack.

1. Install Aqua Tcl/Tk and recompile R using this Tcl/Tk, configuring
with

configure
--with-tcl-config=/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/tclConfig.sh
--with-tk-config=/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/tkConfig.sh
--enable-R-shlib --with-aqua --with-blas='-framework vecLib'
--with-lapack TCLTK_LIBS='-framework Tcl -framework Tk'
TCLTK_CPPFLAGS='-I/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.Framework/Headers
-I/Library/Frameworks/Tk.Framework/Headers'

2. Go to

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/exec and say

sudo /Developer/Tools/Rez -t APPL Carbon.r -o R

same in Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin

3. When you start R from terminal or emacs, first load the tcltk
library.
You can put this in R.profile, so it's done automatically.

This amounts to borrowing the Aqua Tcl/Tk event loop to run R as
a Classic (Tcl/Tk) application.

Now you're set
On Sep 22, 2004, at 11:44 AM, Tamas K Papp wrote:

>> From the r-help list I got the answer included below to my original
> question, which was about Quartz not working properly when called from
> a command-line/Emacs-inferior R process, only from R.app (the Quartz
> windows becomes "passive", you cannot select or resize it).
>
> I wonder if anybody has a solution to this, whether the issue is known
> and if somebody knowledgeable would please fix this for the next
> release.  I didn't want to post a bug report myself.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tamas
>
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 05:59:58PM -0500, Ulises Mora Alvarez wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> The Quartz device only works well when is launched from  R.app. You
>> may
>> launch an X Dev (the default when not in R.app) or use R.app. However
>> if
>> neither one is a choice, you may use dev.copy() or dev.copy2eps() to
>> save
>> your graph.
>>
>> Regards.
>>

>> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Tamas K Papp wrote:
>>
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> I have switched from Linux to OS X, and I find the R interface there
>>> really nice.  I am using Emacs+ESS, and the quartz device.
>>>
>>> My only problem is that
>>>
>>> 1. I can't move the quartz window, whenever I go above it I see a
>>>    spinning rainbow circle (AFAIK that means "I am busy" or "can't
>>>    touch me" in OS X)
>>>
>>> 2. Once something gets in front of it, I cannot raise it any more.
>>>
>>> 3. I don't see it when I cycle the windows with Alt-Tab
>>>
>>> I am sure that I am missing something, read the manual and searched
>>> the archives, but found no solution to this.  That might be because I
>>> am really new to OS X.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tamas
>>>

>> --
>> Ulises M. Alvarez
>> LAB. DE ONDAS DE CHOQUE
>> FISICA APLICADA Y TECNOLOGIA AVANZADA
>> UNAM
>> -u-m-a-l-v-a-r-e-z- at -f-a-t-a- dot -u-n-a-m- dot -m-x-

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8125 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu