[R-SIG-Mac] cocoa packages

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Tue Oct 26 23:04:32 CEST 2004

On Oct 26, 2004, at 1:02 PM, Byron Ellis wrote:

> I think it could be useful for adding S-PLUS-like functionality to the
> R GUI. Maybe for use in things like introductory statistics courses
> (or Computational Biology courses). On the whole, a lot prettier than
> Tcl/Tk and with some more work we could probably write selector
> targets in R (a la CamelBones or PyObjC).

I agree that replacing tcl/tk is long overdue. You may have a look at
the iWidgets package - I was trying to define a platform- and
toolkit-independent API for widgets with that. It is implemented in
Java and works on most platforms, but it would be great to have a Cocoa
package with the same functionality and same API. The big thing then
would be that you can actually use the same R code on any platform - on
Mac it would happen to be Cocoa based. iWidgets come bundled with JGR (
http://www.rosuda.org/JGR/ ) if you want to run the demos, but you can
also download the sources from our R repository (
http://www.rosuda.org/R/ ).

As of the Obj-C glue, well, you said it ;) It's not rocket science,
just a lot of work ... I have very little time atm, but I may have a
quiet minute this weekend to polish the REngine code ...