[R-SIG-Mac] Cocoa GUI feature request (with patch!)

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 21 10:25:37 CEST 2004

The insertion point moves because its part of the selection handling
routines for NSTextView. Short of a completely custom terminal
implementation there's no really good way of suppressing it without
breaking the selection behavior. I'm pretty sure we like all of the
selection behavior. Hence my little patch, which does not swallow
typing, rather it does exactly what you suggest--append the typing to
the current line (and reset the insertion point while we're at it).

I'm not certain how it interacts with the history (up-arrow,
down-arrow) or command completion (tab. BTW, thanks for including
this---the command line R on any platform AFAIK has never sensibly
implemented tab. It completes filenames, which is just weird). I
suspect it just ignores those inputs if the insertion point is in the
wrong location (this is reparable, I just didn't think of it until
now).