[R-SIG-Mac] 64bit compile on Tiger

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Thu Nov 25 12:29:00 CET 2004

> From: "Sek Won Kong,M.D" <skong at bidmc.harvard.edu>
> I am planning to compile and install R on 10.4 Tiger Preview.
> Does someone already do this? If so, could you share the experience?
> What would be the version of gcc and g77 (or g95) to compile R 64 bit?

I built a gcc-4.0 from the head of Apple's cvs tree this week
(apple-gcc-4020).  It built OK with the new F95 Fortran that appears to
work.  This compiler is not compatible with the current gcc_select,
although it could be the default cc with some manual changes or can be
invoked as gcc-4.0.

If anyone would like a copy of the compiler drop me an email.  I have a
package installer.

AFAIK R uses g77 because it is Fortran 77 code (Hollerith card line
lengths and all that.).  I don't expect the configure system would
recognise the new Fortran 95.

64 bit stuff is another story.  The changelogs show many changes in the
last few weeks (since the Tiger preview release) enabling 64 bit
elements like a 64 bit libgcc.  However, these would not build on my
computer because I did not have the necessary 64 bit ppc64 architecture
header files.   I checked with a colleague who has a new G5 iMac with
Tiger preview and he does not have the headers either.  So I guess we
need to wait for a Developer Tools update before 64bit compilation of
user level code becomes an option.

The compiler will build 64 bit code now.  Just use the -m64 option.
However the C and Fortran runtime libraries are crucial to any real
program.

Do you really need 64 bit code?

Bill Northcott
School of Banking and Finance