[R-SIG-Mac] Permissions still not quite right

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Sat Nov 20 00:53:00 CET 2004

On Nov 19, 2004, at 7:34 PM, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:

> The 2.0.1 installer is much better about permissions than versions
> before 2.0,

1.9.x didn't use Apple installer (except for the looks) - it actually
untarred a tar ball - bad boy. The current one (2.0.0 and 2.0.1) are
totally different specified from scratch, using PM.

> but it still changed the owner of /Applications:
>
> User differs on ./Applications, should be 0, owner is 502
> Owner and group corrected on ./Applications
> Permissions corrected on ./Applications
>
> It really should leave the owners and permissions of existing
> directories alone.

Well, our packages tell Apple Installer to leave them alone. It seems
to be a bug in Apple Installer, because from
R-GUI.pkg/Contents/Info.plist:
         <key>IFPkgFlagOverwritePermissions</key>
         <false/>
so it shouldn't replace any existing rights. I'm pretty much at loss,
because no package contains the Applications folder and R-GUI uses 0:80
as owner:group - and it's respected as you can see:
Miraculix:~% ls -ld /Applications/R.app
drwxrwxr-x  3 root  admin  102 20 Nov 00:42 /Applications/R.app

In fact UID 502 is not used anywhere in any package of the R installer.
Is your UID on that machine 502?
We could work around it by changing the rights in post-flight but we
instructed AI to not change them in the first place ...

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany

Tel: +49-821-598-2236