[R-SIG-Mac] Installing Bioconductor 1.5 on R 2.0 for OS X

Michael Redmond redmond at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 8 23:21:19 CET 2004

Byron,
I have been having some success with R installation by replacing the
fink version of g77 with the sourceforge version. So thanks very much
for that info.

Now that I have a good R base system compiled on OS X (I am trying  both
on a Powerbook for testing and on the XServe), I have been trying to
load bioconductor to test compile with the sourceforge g77, but with no
success over the last week. Something seems to have changed, since I was
able to get further along before then.

On the Powebook, I do the standard connect to
http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R and the do the getBioC(). It spins
for a few seconds, then gives an error message "Error in getBioC()" but
with no additional diagnostic information. This is the same if I ask for
default or specific packages. I also tried "verbose = TRUE" and got no
additional info. When I try on the XServe, I get an error message "Error
in file(file, "wb") : unable to open connection".

I am sure that I wasn't getting these messages when I first tried

Any idea of what is up?
Thanks
Mike Redmond
UW-Madison