[R-SIG-Mac] An example of Cocoa GUI for R

stefano iacus jago at mclink.it
Mon May 17 22:29:50 CEST 2004

On May 17, 2004, at 7:09 PM, Byron Ellis wrote:

> On May 14, 2004, at 7:16 AM, stefano iacus wrote:
>
>> Finally, we are showing you a bit of work on the Cocoa GUI.
>>
>> Do not expect too much, it is just a preview. You have some nice
>> feature yet like code and file completion, but still don't expect too
>> much.
>>
>> Have a look here
>>
>> http://www.economia.unimi.it/R
>>

>> It works with R.app 1.9.0
>>
>> This is a joint work with Simon (mostly his work at the moment)
>>

> Looks pretty good so far...I assume the "metal" interface for the
> console is because There Can Be Only One? (Though, really, you can
> have a console and a bunch of edit windows). But so far, I like it a
> lot---if nothing else my ingrained Emacs habits don't get in the way
> of using R :-)
>

>> When we will have time, we will also write some docs on how to write
>> your own gui for R using Cocoa, but don't expect any finished work
>> before R 2.0.0.
>>

> You could also---it might be better, from the point of view of
> eventually writing documentation, to have those of us less intimate
> with your design struggle mightily (or not) for a time with only some
> source as our guide (I tried to get something running a while back
> just looking at the R source, but not very hard) to get an idea of the
> rough spots. One suggestion from just looking at the initial source
> would be to have the bundle name be a preference such that multiple
> GUIs can be present on a system (perhaps also searching ~/Application
> Support or something) and switchable---switching on-the-fly would be
> extra-cool but I understand that you have to save SOME features for
> later ;-)

Indeed Byron, the final goal is you can have several  GUI (possibly
switching on the fly, it is not too hard in principle)...and we will
need someone to write a second one :)
The problem is our "time" and writing docs require some. I think that
in june, probably after 1.9.1, we can have a documented  skeleton on
how to implement your own GUI.
I don't want to document too much what we have done since now because
what we have now  won't be like the final  design we have in mind for
several reasons. Among the others: the aqua module (like other gui
modules) will be absorbed in to R.bin and this is going to happen is
r-devel pretty soon.

stefano