[R-SIG-Mac] An example of Cocoa GUI for R

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Mon May 17 19:09:03 CEST 2004

On May 14, 2004, at 7:16 AM, stefano iacus wrote:

> Finally, we are showing you a bit of work on the Cocoa GUI.
>
> Do not expect too much, it is just a preview. You have some nice
> feature yet like code and file completion, but still don't expect too
> much.
>
> Have a look here
>
> http://www.economia.unimi.it/R
>

> It works with R.app 1.9.0
>
> This is a joint work with Simon (mostly his work at the moment)

Looks pretty good so far...I assume the "metal" interface for the
console is because There Can Be Only One? (Though, really, you can have
a console and a bunch of edit windows). But so far, I like it a
lot---if nothing else my ingrained Emacs habits don't get in the way of
using R :-)

> When we will have time, we will also write some docs on how to write
> your own gui for R using Cocoa, but don't expect any finished work
> before R 2.0.0.

You could also---it might be better, from the point of view of
eventually writing documentation, to have those of us less intimate
with your design struggle mightily (or not) for a time with only some
source as our guide (I tried to get something running a while back just
looking at the R source, but not very hard) to get an idea of the rough
spots. One suggestion from just looking at the initial source would be
to have the bundle name be a preference such that multiple GUIs can be
present on a system (perhaps also searching ~/Application Support or
something) and switchable---switching on-the-fly would be extra-cool
but I understand that you have to save SOME features for later ;-)