[R-SIG-Mac] Clarification of R-Tcl/Tk installation wish-list

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Wed Jul 7 02:15:24 CEST 2004

Hi,

I just thought I'd clarfify my "wish-list" for R-Tcl/Tk
installation on Mac OS X.

If R-Tcl/Tk could be installed without the developer tools,
the number of Mac-users of my GUIs would more than double!
Installing Tcl/Tk from source may seem easy enough to Unix
command-line users, but to my GUI users (biologists), they
generally don't have the developer tools, and if anything
went wrong with installing Tcl/Tk from source (e.g. X11
headers and libraries not found), then they would give up
very quickly.  Mac-using biologists don't necessarily have
a Unix-minded I.T. administrator.

Does anyone else like the idea of having an option of installing
Tcl/Tk binaries in $R_HOME/Tcl/ in the same way that it is done
on Windows?  See "R_Tcl.zip" on Duncan Murdoch's webpage:
http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/

Now, as far as adminstrator privileges, it looks like I still
have a bit to learn about the difference between root and
administrator on Mac OS X.  But my desire should be clear - to
be able to double-click the R installer from R.dmg and install
it in a custom directory (without getting an error message
saying that it requires administrator privileges).  Then I could
practise building and installing my own customized R installer.

Maybe non-administrator installation in a custom directory is
more difficult on Mac OS X than on Windows, because Mac OS X is
based on Unix where it is natural to choose the --prefix for
configure BEFORE building from source (so the binaries may
contain absolute directory paths).  Similarly, some RPMs on
Linux can only be installed in one place.  Can Mac OS X be
more flexible, like R for Windows?

I wish I could sound more experienced with installing R on Mac,
but we have a strict I.T. department which won't let me install
anything requiring admin or root privileges.

Best regards,
James