[R-SIG-Mac] Problems with R/RAqua

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Tue Jan 27 00:06:30 MET 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 13:42, Christof Bigler wrote:

> I work now for quite a while with the R Darwin/X11 version from Fink
> which works fine.
> Today, I downloaded and installed RAqua from CRAN, which I can start
> up directly from the Applications/ folder. I also changed the links as
> recommended on the R developer page. However, when I try to start
> RAqua from X11, I get the following message:
>
>> christof% R
>> dyld: /usr/local/lib/R/bin/R.bin malformed library:
>> /usr/local/lib/R/bin/Help (n
>> ot a Mach-O file, bad magic number)
>> Trace/BPT trap

sudo rm /usr/local/lib/R/bin/Help will solve this
This happens because you installed over an older version of R
It's even better to remove all of /usr/local/lib/R and ultimately you
will
be happier if you remove /sw altogether (or rename to /sw.tmp)

> Any suggestions to what happened here?
>
> Apparently, there are different paths in the terminal and X11:
>
>> Terminal:
>> christof% echo $PATH
>> /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/
>> X11R6/bin

>> X11:
>> christof% echo $PATH
>> $PATH:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:~/bin:~/
>> sbin:~/usr/bin:~/usr/sbin:~/usr/local/bin:~/usr/local/sbin
>> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/sbin/:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> In the first case, the R version (v1.7) from Fink is searched for, in
> the second case the newly installed RAqua version (v1.8).
>
> My questions:
> How and where can I permanently change the path for both the Terminal
> and X11?
> Can I still use RAqua within Xemacs that I installed from Fink?

You can use R in Xemacs just fine, but not the quartz() device from
RAqua.

See my page http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub for some details

> Thanks for your help!
> Christof

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu