[R-SIG-Mac] Speaking of GUIs on the Mac...

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Wed Apr 28 11:56:07 CEST 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 4:21 PM, Byron Ellis wrote:

> Are Stefano and Simon going to unveil the reason for the mysterious
> bundle loading code present in the Aqua module now that we've passed
> the 1.9.0 mark? An iTerm-based console perhaps? Something even cooler?
> Pluggable interfaces? We burn with curiosity :-)

Stefano, can't we make a R-sig-mac-only release of the Cocoa stuff?
Just for those few interested ;)?

Byron, conception-wise we have a pluggable interface (it's not 100%
clean yet, because we still need to replace some Carbon stuff - think
of all the objects browsers, editors and similar bells and whistles
that Carbon R had), and a nice Cocoa implementation of the basic
console. The Cocoa code includes the Obj-C interface to R (we use it
e.g. in code completion part) that I was speaking of while ago.
Currently the main problem are time constrains (especially on my side)
since a real release would need more polishing. Also synchronization
issues between threads aren't resolved yet (need to modify Quartz for
that).

Event loop stuff is still not sorted out and I doubt it will be any
time soon (both technical and time constraints). OT: In that respect my
biggest hope is our JGR project which in the end will provide and
integrate seamlessly all: GUI, graphics and widgets (first private DP
release for Mac and Win is expected this week).

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
University of Augsburg
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany