[R-SIG-Mac] Speaking of GUIs on the Mac...

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Wed Apr 28 11:56:07 CEST 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 4:21 PM, Byron Ellis wrote:

> Are Stefano and Simon going to unveil the reason for the mysterious
> bundle loading code present in the Aqua module now that we've passed
> the 1.9.0 mark? An iTerm-based console perhaps? Something even cooler?
> Pluggable interfaces? We burn with curiosity :-)

Stefano, can't we make a R-sig-mac-only release of the Cocoa stuff?
Just for those few interested ;)?

Byron, conception-wise we have a pluggable interface (it's not 100%
clean yet, because we still need to replace some Carbon stuff - think
of all the objects browsers, editors and similar bells and whistles
that Carbon R had), and a nice Cocoa implementation of the basic
console. The Cocoa code includes the Obj-C interface to R (we use it
e.g. in code completion part) that I was speaking of while ago.
Currently the main problem are time constrains (especially on my side)
since a real release would need more polishing. Also synchronization
issues between threads aren't resolved yet (need to modify Quartz for

Event loop stuff is still not sorted out and I doubt it will be any
time soon (both technical and time constraints). OT: In that respect my
biggest hope is our JGR project which in the end will provide and
integrate seamlessly all: GUI, graphics and widgets (first private DP
release for Mac and Win is expected this week).

Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
University of Augsburg
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg

Tel: +49-821-598-2236