[R-SIG-Mac] Re: aqua/x11/tcl/tk

stefano iacus jago at mclink.it
Tue Apr 27 18:01:54 CEST 2004

Well this is not exact.
My binary built of R has an Aqua GUI but uses X11/TclTk. The libs are
distributed in the R.framework.

This means that, after starting the X window server, you have access to
X11, for example the X11 graphic device.

you can also load the tcltk package in R (with the AQUA GUI or from the
command line) and have also the Tk widgets. Of course you don't have
Aqua Tk widgets but you can use everything smoothly.

If you build R against Aqua TclTk libs, then Jan's trick for using Aqua
Tcl/Tk is working but, if I remember well, it only works correctly
running R from the shell, i.e. you cannot run Aqua TclTk from R GUI
without problems with the event loop (unless you start the tkStartGUI,
which replaces the R GUI with the tk widgets, but I found this way of
using the GUI a bit more than strange).

stefano