[R-SIG-Mac] .Rprofile and quartz

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Mon Apr 19 13:43:14 CEST 2004

On Apr 19, 2004, at 1:20 PM, Andrew Beckerman wrote:

> A not of thanks to all involved with getting 1.9.0 out to OS X with
> console.... Very flash and fast!
>
> My question may not be a mac thing: I had a very simple .Rprofile in
> my home directory:
>
> cat("Welcome to R...." \n)
> quartz("",8,8)
> lset(col.whitebg())
> cat(\n "Profile Loaded...." \n)
>
> However, with 1.9, it no longer works, saying that quartz cannot be
> found.  I have tried embedding these into a .First() function, as
> shown is ?Startup, with no luck.  Any ideas?

Similar questions are being asked in R-devel/R-help almost daily :P.
The startup files don't load any packages except for base - and this
implies that you need to load such libraries explicitly. In your case
you probably want to load the graphics library in order to get the
quartz function (for reasons etc. see the list archives). This behavior
is not new in 1.9, but the split of base in to individual packages is.

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
University of Augsburg
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany