[R-SIG-Mac] mgcv doesn't compile

David Orlovich david.orlovich at botany.otago.ac.nz
Mon Oct 13 22:21:08 MEST 2003

G'day R-Aqua people.

I've just installed R 1.8.0 on my OS X 10.2.8 machine and it is working
more or less to my satisfaction - thanks heaps to those who have been
developing this - it's great!

However, when I do an update.packages() one of the packages
(mgcv_0.9-4) doesn't compile.  It fails with the messages pasted below.
  In an attempt to try a few things to sort it out, I have done the
update.packages() as both a normal user and after sudo but it makes no
difference (this is usually the problem with Linux - forgetting to do
the update as root) and I installed the GCC 3.3 update and it makes no
difference.

So ... I'm not really a UNIX expert so I'm putting this to the list in
the hope you can help.  It's not a critical problem for me as I don't
use that package... but it'd be nice to work out the problem.  Thanks
in advance for any help - I can supply more info if necessary.

Cheers, David Orlovich.

ld: warning -L: directory name
(/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.6/3.4) does not exist
ld: warning -L: directory name
(/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin6.6/3.4/../../..) does not exist
ld: can't locate file for: -lfrtbegin
make: *** [mgcv.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'mgcv'
** Removing '/Applications/StartR.app/RAqua.app/Contents/library/mgcv'
** Restoring previous
'/Applications/StartR.app/RAqua.app/Contents/library/mgcv'

Delete downloaded files (y/N)?
The packages are in /tmp/Rtmp474/Rinstdir2781e494
Warning message:
Installation of package mgcv had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages(update[, "Package"], instlib, contriburl = contriburl,