[R-SIG-Mac]Problems building the current R-devel on 10.2.4

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Mar 10 09:04:56 MET 2003

On Sunday, Mar 9, 2003, at 17:11 US/Pacific, Tom Kennedy wrote:

> Over the last few weeks changes to the R-devel have lead to failed
> compiles
> for me of the R-devel (rsync) tree. My last successful build was early
> Feb 2003.
>
> I am using 10.2.4 and the latest apple development tools and the
> latest fink cvs libraries but not ATLAS as I'm trying to use vecLib.
> I'm on an 700MHz ibook.
>
> I get warnings about the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET which seems
> to indicate a change in the default behavior b/n 10.1 and 10.2.

This is no problem.

> I also get an error during the compile about MH_DYLIB and multi module
> and the libg2c.a library from the fink g77. The error is the same as
> in the post
> https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2003-February/
> 000776.html . I did rebuild the fink g77 from cvs as advised without
> any change in the error message.

Are you sure you have the g77 from the unstable tree of fink ?

> Module methods also warns of prior library references b/n bundle
> loader R.bin and the libR.

This is also no problem.

> What is the recommended configure options for building on macos 10.2.4.

We are working on getting rid of some of the warnings.

> I'm currently using :
>
> ./configure
> --with-tcl-config=/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/tclConfig.sh \
> --with-tk-config=/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/tkConfig.sh \
> --enable-R-shlib  --with-aqua --with-x\
> --with-blas="-framework vecLib" --with-lapack \
> TCLTK_LIBS="-framework Tcl -framework Tk" \
> TCLTK_CPPFLAGS="-framework Tcl -framework Tk"  \
> CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/include" LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib"

Get rid of --with-aqua, since it does not work anyway and will be
removed soon.

> Any thoughts to
> 1. Is this the right config?
> 2. What should I define the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET as?

It is now 10.1, if you make it 10.2 you will see that fink's g77 does
not work
anymore.

> 3. I note that the linker now defaults to twolevel_namespace by
> default, does
> 	this require any adjustments?

We are working on that, but it does not for me.

> Regards Tom

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu

           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au