[R-SIG-Mac] R in terminal

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Fri Jun 27 22:02:04 MEST 2003

This is the #1 FAQ. Say. in the terminal,

cd /usr/local/bin; ./R

or say

/usr/local/bin/R

In order to just say R, /usr/local/bin must be in your PATH. To
make sure that it is, put

setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:{$PATH}

in your ~/.tcshrc.

If any of the above is not clear, I strongly suggest

Taylor and Peek: Unix for Mac OS X, O'Reilly, 2002.

Every piece of Unix you learn will make your OS X experience better.

On Friday, Jun 27, 2003, at 19:44 US/Pacific, Matthew James Krachey
wrote:

> Hi everybody. I am trying to use R in order to run an ordinal
> regression. I
> purchased Harrell's Regression Modeling Strategies text and am trying
> to get
> the Design library to work.
>
> After multiple issues with the earlier versions (1.5.1, 1.6.2) being
> able to
> run the Design library, I've decided to try the Darwin versions (1.7.0,
> 1.7.1). I downloaded the installer packages from Jan de Leeuw's page
> and
> installed. Now when I'm in the terminal window, when I enter "R" to
> invoke
> the program, or "R CMD" as it says in the man page, I get a R doesn't
> exist
> error, but the man page for R exists.
>
> Any advice for a Unix neophyte? This experience has been quite
> underwhelming. Any help is much appreciated
>
> Matthew Krachey
> M.S. Candidate
> Department of Fisheries Biology
> Humboldt State University
> Arcata, California

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu