[R-SIG-Mac] moving from fink to self building

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 16 14:36:40 MEST 2003

On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 09:07 AM, Andrew Beckerman wrote:

> Dear listers -
>
> I have been using R from fink over the past few builds, happily, but
> it seems that it pays to know the build process for yourself, given
> that the time until a new R build reaches stable in fink can be quite
> awhile.
>
> So a few questions from a Unix neophyte.
>
> With fink installed, and R installed via fink, all dependencies - i.e.
> dlcompat, readline and gcc - the list of required stuff on Stefano's
> page - are all in place, but perhaps the wrong place (sw?). Is that
> correct?
>
> Question 1.
> If one has the fink installation, does one need to install all of the
> pieces from the stefano website in /usr/local?

If one has the fink installation, but does not want to use it anymore,
mv /sw to /sw.tmp
while building R, and install what is needed in /usr/local

> Question 2.
> If the answer is yes, does it matter that you might have for example,
> dlcompat in two places?

No, that does not matter. Dynamic builds know where their libraries sit.

> Question 3.
> Jan suggested the following answer to the most frequently asked
> question about getting R to start from the home directory: put the
> line : setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:{$PATH} into your ~/.tcshrc file.
> Will this work even if you have the fink installation of R as well?  I
> seem to recall that fink sets up its paths for you....

If you want to continue using fink for other stuff, just insert this
statement in ~/.tchsrc
after fink sources its startup script. But a warning is in order:
populating /usr/local
eventually means conflicts with /sw -- which is the reason some of us
have been
happy to get rid of imperialistic fink. The way to do it is if you are
doing fink
things, then mask /usr/local by calling it /usr/local.tmp, if you are
building Python,
or Emacs, or R from source, mask /sw. But of course you are bound to
forget to do
this at some point,

> cheers
> andrew
>
> --
> The University of Stirling is a university established in
> Sc...{{dropped}}

====
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu