[R-SIG-Mac] Another beta for RAqua

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 1 23:41:43 MEST 2003

What about a "plugin" style a la Safari Plugins, Konfabulator, etc?
Instead of having a .pkg why not just have the libraries live in a file
bundle (.Rpkg perhaps, you can register the extension with
LaunchServices to get nice icons and maybe open the HTML documentation
when it double clicks or something...) and have those live in
~/Library/R for user installed packages (this is important for multi
user systems or if you're using a system where you're not root, like at
a school using a lab) and system-wide non-base packages live in
/Library/R and base (maybe recommended) living inside the R.app bundle.

Just a thought.