[R-SIG-Mac]CORBA for Cocoa

A.J. Rossini rossini@u.washington.edu
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:57:52 -0800

>>>>> "jan" == Jan de Leeuw <deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu> writes:

    jan> CORBA provides platform independent programming interfaces and
    jan> models for portable distributed object-oriented computing applications.
    jan> The OmegaHat project has a CORBA implementation in R and S. In this
    jan> context it may be useful to know there is now a framework for OS X
    jan> that provides an Objective C implementation of CORBA (plus a Cocoa
    jan> IDLBrowser, which is a native CORBA client).

Have you actually tried the R Corba interface?  Unless it's been
updated, it doesn't really work (not with the recent version of
Orbacus, which might not even be available  -- it had a pretty
restrictive license).

At one point, I'd made progress with getting OmniORB to work, which
might be a better approach, but it isn't finished (and is based on
an early version 3, not the current version 4, or the "last" version
3).

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini@u.washington.edu