[R-SIG-Mac]Tcl/tk on OS X Jaguar

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:48:59 -0800

It is easy to get native (non-X11) tcl/tk support in the Darwin version
of R (in the sense that you can run the tk demos and so on) but since
Darwin R runs from the terminal window there is no way to get the
tk windows to the foreground. In order to do that R has to be
embedded in a Cocoa application, so that the events are handled
correctly by the OS X windowmanager (in particular SetFrontProcess).

So the easy way out is to use the Darwin/X11 version, for instance
the one on gifi (which will be upgraded later today with pmg,
RGtkExtra, RGtkHTML, RGtkGlade, RGdkPixbuf).

On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 07:58 AM, Don MacQueen wrote:

> At 3:23 PM +0100 1/17/03, Fernando Zúñiga wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> We want to use tcl/tk  (tk esp) on a Macintosh to simplify access to
>> our R scripts. We have
>> the OS X and classic mac version of R (1.6) installed, but it doesn't
>> seem to support tcl/tk.
>
> I believe that's correct--or was at one time--perhaps the carbonized
> (not just classic) version now supports tcltk.
>
>> We then tried to install the OS X / Darwin version (1.5), but
>> although we got a "installation
>> succesfully completed" message, we cannot find the R directories,
>> binaries, etc.
>
> You might as well go for the latest version, 1.6.2.
>
> On my OS X Mac, I installed the Darwin R from source code, and the
> final step, the "make install" step, put things here
>
> [322]% which R
> /usr/local/bin/R
>
> and here
> [323]% ls /usr/local/lib/R
> ./           .DS_Store*   COPYING      COPYRIGHTS   NEWS         THANKS
>  bin/         etc/         library/     share/      ../ AUTHORS
> COPYING.LIB  FAQ          RESOURCES    afm/         doc/ include/
> modules/
>
>> Question 1: Do we need the OS X specific version of R for tcl/tk
>> support?
>> Question 2: How come the OS X version does not install?
>
> It does install, but it took me several tries to get it right, the
> first time I did it.
>

>> We're running a Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) computer, with X11 installed
>> and a Mac native tcl/tk.
>
> Your fastest route to tcltk support is probably to get Jan's binaries
> from here
> http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/pub
>
> I installed tcltk from fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net/) in order to
> get tcltk functionality in R, the R I built from sources. But check
> Jan's website first.
>

>> Thank you very much for your help.
>>
>> --Fernando

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 9432 Boelter Hall, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu

           No matter where you go, there you are. --- Buckaroo Banzai
                    http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu/sounds/nomatter.au